It is possible to distort the shape of a zsphere mesh by using Magnet-Spheres. This technique can be very useful for creating wings and similar shapes or adding bulk where it’s needed.
To add a magnet-sphere:
- In Draw mode, add a regular zsphere at the place where you want the magnet.
- In Move and Scale mode, adjust position and size of the zsphere.
- In Draw mode, Alt+click on a Link-Sphere to create the magnet.
- Press ‘A’ to preview the mesh, adjusting the position or scale as necessary.
To change a magnet-sphere back to a regular zsphere:
- In Move mode click on the magnet to select it – this will make its connecting lines appear.
- In Draw mode, hold down Alt and position the cursor between the lines: the cursor will change to a little square with a minus sign [-]. Click and the grey link-spheres and zsphere will be restored.
Edgeloops can be formed by adding smaller zspheres to the model. If these zspheres are moved inwards they will form a ‘socket’, suitable for sculpting eyes and similar shapes.
To add an edgeloop socket:
- In Draw mode add a zsphere where you want the socket.
- In Move mode, move the new zsphere inwards until it appears to pop inside out.
- The edgeloop socket will have been created.
In some circumstances adding two small zspheres one on top of the other can produce a better result; the second zsphere, which is the one pushed inwards, should be slightly smaller than the first.
To remove the socket, simply move the zsphere outwards.