- The Palette buttons. Click a palette name to show that palette. Palettes are arranged for particular ZBrush features. The Reference Guide explains them in detail.
- The Document area or Canvas. This is where all the drawing, painting or sculpting work is done.
- The Left Shelf. The shelves to the left, top and right of the Canvas hold those items that are most useful. You can hide or show the shelves by pressing TAB on the keyboard.
- A palette is docked in the Right Tray. Palettes can be docked in the right or left tray to make selection of their options easier. A Tray can be shown or hidden by clicking the dividers on its inner edge.
To explore the Interface in more depth see the Interface Overview page.
Moving a Palette into a Tray
- Click the divider to open the tray if necessary
- Click the palette name to open it, then either:
- simply click on the palette icon to automatically move it to a tray.
- click and drag on the icon to the tray of your choice.
Some palettes are divided into separate menus called sub-palettes. To open a sub-palette, click on its name. By default, only one sub-palette is open at a time; to open more than one sub-palette, Shift+click the sub-palette name. You can change this default setting if you wish by turning off Preferences>Interface>Palettes>Open One Subpalette.
Some of the larger sub-palettes are divided into sections (sometimes called UI Groups). To open a section, click on its name. By default, only one section is open at a time; to open more than one section, Shift+click the section name. You can change this default setting if you wish by turning off Preferences>Interface>UI Groups>AutoClose UI Groups.
- For more information about palettes and sub-palettes see the Interface Operation page.
Hotkeys and Mouse Actions
ZBrush makes extensive use of hotkeys (keyboard shortcuts) and mouse actions. These speed up and simplify working methods. See these links for further details:
- The online Keyboard Shortcuts page with full details of all shortcuts and actions
- A cheat sheet pdf with the most important items – download here
- The full list as a printable pdf – download here