Welcome to ZBrush 2021.6
ZBrush 2021.6 continues on the path of creativity and productivity with major new features allowing artists to work with even greater freedom. Explore ideas in a natural and direct manner. Sketch out concepts and develop shapes almost at the speed of thought.
Get ready to let your imagination go and explore the new features below!
Mesh from Mask
Mesh from Mask is an amazingly fast and simple mesh creation tool. Simply outline your desired shape with the masking lasso and this shape will instantly be turned into an editable mesh. Although your stroke must begin on a mesh, it can then be continued over open canvas if you wish. You can add to your shape, subtract from it or cut holes with real-time updates to the generated mesh.
Read more about Mesh from Mask here.
CurveAlpha and ExtrudeProfile
The new Curve Alpha brushes take any 2D alpha and extrude it along a curve as real geometry! This is ideal for quickly creating stylish strands of hair or horns, twisting and tapering along any curve you create.
Read more about CurveAlpha and ExtrudeProfile here.
Give your imagination a boost! The new SnakeCurve brushes work with Sculptris Pro mode, allowing you to draw out a curve on the model and then pull it out from the surface to create strange and beautiful organic extrusions. This feature is perfect for creating the sort of happy accidents that inspire artists.
Read more about Snake Curve here.
True Raytracing Ambient Occlusion
A new, improved version of Ambient Occlusion masking has been added, with intensity and smoothing controls. The new AO even respects other SubTools!
Read more about True Raytracing Ambient Occlusion here.
The USD format has been added for import and export. The USD format was developed by Pixar to provide a way to handle scenes made up of many different elements as well as allow multiple artists to collaborate on the different assets.
Read more about USD format here.
Other Additions and Improvements
- Sticky Hotkeys: Any hotkey that triggers a slider can now be held down. Moving the cursor then adjusts the slider until the hotkey is released. This means fewer clicks to get the same result. To use this feature turn on Preferences>Interface>Click>Use Sticky Keys. You can adjust the Preferences>Interface>Click>Sticky Keys Activation Timer slider to suit how you work. Remember to save your configuration (Shift+Ctrl+i).
- Two new Male and Female demo meshes are included, courtesy of Tsvetomir Georgiev.
- Updates to Curve Stroke options allow more advanced behavior.
- The last saved project will now be opened when ZBrush starts. This option can be turned off in the Preferences>>Startup subpalette.
- A selection of hard surface alphas has been added to the Alpha tab of Lightbox for using with the new features.
- for features introduced in ZBrush 2021.5 see this the New in ZBrush 2021.5 page
- for features introduced in ZBrush 2021 see this the New in ZBrush 2021 page